Tuesday, November 14, 2006

My Wharton Interview Experience

I had my Wharton interview early in the day at the Alum's office. I reached his office around 30 minutes before and so we started 20 minutes before the stipulated time. The alum had some 10 years of experience after MBA and 8 years before MBA. So he was quite mature and adept at interviewing. It was a tough interview, I must say. He guided the interiew process well and asked several follow-up questions on my experiences. Whenever, I told him about some experience whether community or professional, he asked about how xyz behaved or tell me about one person you really liked in that community engagement. I think he was trying to gauge the depth and honesty of the experiences. We started pretty slowly and by the time we had finished we were zooming at 100mph :-)

Some of the questions I remember were:-

1. Walk me though your resume. He asked several follow up questions and situational questions.
2. Why Wharton? Why MBA? Career goals?
3. Why do you think Wharton is the ideal place to help you realize your long-term goals. I mentioned about several programs at Wharton which would help me and the diverse student body, alumni etc. So he said I know these programs are good but why do you think Wharton is the right place. I mentioned several other points. We then moved to another questions.
4. He then asked me to mention three strengths and weeknesses. He asked me to elaborate on each of the points. I tried to provide examples from my experiences for each of the strengths and how an MBA from Wharton would help me overcome my weaknesses.
5. Next question was... 70% of the Wharton applicants are good enough to be admitted. So why should we select YOU? I gave several reasons and tried to give examples for all of them.
6. What other things would you like to add which you believe have not been covered in your essays, aplication, and interview. I could not think of any point left, I had used all my cards...so I said I feel we have covered all the points. He then said anything like low GPA or low GMAT or gap in study or employment. I said, Nope.
7. Next...he handed over the stage to me...It was my turn to ask questions. I asked 3-4 questions on his experiences and I added my experiences in between as well. He then provided me his business card and asked me to send an email in case I have any other question. He also asked which other schools I have applied to and interviewed with. He was then kind enough to walk with me till the gate of his office.

During the interview, he was taking notes in a booklet with the label " The Wharton School". He stopped me in between my answers few times so that he could take down notes.

It was a rigorous, sweet, and tough interview! Looking forward to the decision of the Wharton's AdCom. My fingers are crossed !

No news from HBS yet...let's see which school is interested in knowing more about me next...

18 comments:

MBABlogger said...

Wow that was a pretty good experience I think :) Good luck!!

atypical HBS said...

Looks like things went well!! Is Wharton your first choice school?

Forrest Gump said...

that indeed looks to be a tough interview, but i am guessing you did well. good luck.

A said...

Yup Forrest, it was a tough interview and I hadn't expected it. But it was a nice experience and he covered all aspects of my file. I have given my best, and now I can just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best :-)

Inblue said...

It indeed looks tough? BTW are you in Mumbai ? Ha ha. I agree that he was just asking a lot just to gauge the depth of your involvement and more so you honesty. It was WHARTON ! It had to be tough. He himslef said 70% are good enought to be accepted !

Any which way, keep hoping.

A said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
A said...

I am not from Mumbai, India..inblue.

High Above Broadway said...

Looks like everything went well. In my interview prep I found the "why you are better?" question the most difficult to answer. Looks like you did well, good luck on the rest of it!

Inblue said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Inblue said...

You open to sharing you chicago experinece in more detail ? I'd be blessed.

A said...

sure :-) send me an email at my id.

Iday said...

u had a tough one mate :)
looks like u did well. Now wait for a month + a week to get to know what's present at the end of the tunnel :)

Hobbes said...

Wow! That sure was a toughie! BOL! :)

A said...

Thanks Hobbes.
Yeah Iday, the wait has started :-)

rungee582 said...

Sounds like you did a great job on your W interview... hope you get some good news in December from them!

A said...

Thanks rungee :-)

Alex said...

Sounds like it went pretty well. )) Good luck on an admit and I am keeping my fingers crossed on W as well.

asiangal said...

That question on what makes you better than the other 70% that are good to be admitted is a good one. Thanks for sharing. =)