Friday, September 01, 2006

September is in...

So September just creeped in. Now I have 30 days to finish the application. I also need to send the extra materials (transcripts) which some of the schools ask for. The final lap has bugun!

As I had mentioned before, I have completed the essays for HBS, Wharton and Kellogg. Last week I sent my essays to one of my seniors at Kellogg and HBS. My senior at Kellogg was pleased with the overall story but suggested some great points for improvement. I have incorporated those points in essays for all other schools as well. I then sent the updated essay to my HBS senior. He liked my stories and structure. He will suggest me some more points to improve them. I must thank them for all their time and efforts :-) I didn't find any acquaintance at Wharton :-(

I have prepared the first draft of Michigan and Duke essays but they are far from complete at this moment. The dealine for both the schools is 1st Nov. So, I have planned to focus on HBS, Wharton and Kellogg right now. Simultaneously, I will keep updating my Duke and Ross essays.

I had prepared a 1.5 page resume before. Now, I have trimmed it to fit in one page. And it looks good :-) I forwarded the resume to my friends and they all liked it.

On the reco front, 2 of my recommenders have prepared the draft. But they said they will look at it again. I am ok with it. I understand it's a tough job for them to write it for all my schools. Moreover, the structure of questions in reco varies from school to school. It's not a good idea to create one reco that fits for all the schools.

I have started filling the online application for HBS. They ask a lot of small questions in the application too. I saw the online application for Duke and Michigan as well. I found that if i complete one application, it won't take much time to complete the next applications. The informations asked are pretty similar.

Last week, I attened the info session for one of the schools and i found it a waste of time! The presenter spent a lot of time in presenting their brochure. Moreover, the answer to almost all the questions asked by the participants can be found on the school's websites. Also, I didn't find many opportunities to interact with the alumni and current students. So, I am not going to attend most of the info sessions from now onwards.

5 comments:

Ro said...

dude, the 20 years is not for the market survery, 20 years is the time
that we'll be in power for. a market survery for 20 years would be
meaningless because the market would have changed. i'm hoping for 2
years MBA, 5-7 years work ex during the last 2 years of which I will
be doing the market survey, and 20 years as the leader...

Ro said...

Hi, how many schools are you applying to in all?

A said...

5 or 6

Shubham Gupta said...

Hey scarecrow can you please drop me an email ? had some queries.

Shubham Gupta said...

email id shubg.iitk@gmail.com